Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Alicia McEwen's Chapter 2 Reflection

EDCI 551 Guiding Learning with TechnologyWednesday, October 28, 2009



After reading Chapter 2 I am having mixed feelings of feeling overwhelmed but also excited about integrating more technology into my current classroom. I liked how this chapter discussed how technology can easily be integrated into some of the current units I teach. This chapter discussed how student teachers can integrate technology into lessons. This left me wondering how many current undergrad programs are now actually putting an emphasis on educating future teachers on how to best implement technology into their teaching. I thought chapter 2 also brought up a good point with the fact that we need to be careful when giving outside assignments that involve the use of resources like the Internet. I think it’s really important that we are aware of the fact that many families may still not have easy access to a computer.

This chapter has inspired me to find ways to integrate technology into some of my Science and Social Studies units. I am sure there are some great websites out there on the butterfly life-cycle, plants, maps, and communities. I would like to find some interactive sites that would be enjoyable and beneficial to my first graders. I would also like to obtain resources on how to best teach young kids how to safely explore the Internet. It seems like learning how to do this at an early age is going to be very beneficial down the road as students’ are engaged in research and other Internet related activities.

Thinking about all of the great ways I could integrate technology into my classroom leaves me with the concern of lack of resources. Technology is expensive. With school budgets being cut, are we going to be able to financially support the need of this technological exposure to our students?

4 comments:

  1. I agree with your interest in exposing kids early to the use of the internet. At the junior high and high school level I have students that have a huge range of ability. Some are fluent on moving through the internet and others act like it is completely new. If we teach at that level it will become an invisible technology to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last comment was from Michael Wagner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also excited about integrating technology into my science curriculum. The kindergarten team ordered FOSS science kits for this year (Earth Science and Animals All Around). After reading chapters one and two this week, I found several ideas for integrating technology with science units for primary school students. I plan to use webpages to show pictures of all the animals we are studying and have students use a drawing application to draw the animals themselves and label their pictures. Although it would be much more meaningful to go to a zoo, or wildlife preserve to see the larger animals that are not included in the FOSS kit, it is not possible so the next best thing would opportunities available through technology. Let me know if you find any useful websites for science.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alicia, remember that you don't have to integrate technology just because it is there--you will choose to use it when it has purpose--enhancing student learning. You are taking the necessary steps to fill your toolbox of technology possibilities-- you'll be able to choose what tool will work for the job required! WAY TO GO!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete