Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Lore Sampson's Chapter 1 Reflection

After reading chapter 1 Teaching in the Twenty-first Century, I gained an appreciation for the definition of technology. I liked how the chapter defined technology as any devise or systematic technique that improves the quality of life. I enjoyed reading about the history of technology and how over time the quality of technology improved through many inventions over time. I learned that in this century there has been a shift in the impact of technological advances in the world that affects how we teach our students in today’s society. Educators have a responsibility to be knowledgeable in content areas as well as to provide students with learning opportunities to support intellectual, social and personal development The next understanding, I gained is that teachers must be ready to prepare their students to live and be successful in an increasingly electronic world. I learned that teachers have the opportunity to shape how their students learn by integrating technology in their classrooms.

The first idea I have for integrating technology in my classroom is to teach my students how to use Harcourt Math on the computer. Our school has a program where we can assign homework for math on the computers. The second idea I have is to use the projector screen to teach my students how to research a topic using the Internet at school.

My main concern about integrating technology for student learning is being able to have enough preparation time to integrate it effectively.

4 comments:

  1. I agree, I also have a new appreciation for the definition of technology. To think back when the wheel was invented, important technology. We live in a time of conveniences and change. Also, our students are becoming computer savvy young at age and we are expected to keep up. When I taught in Phoenix, AZ, the teachers used Harcourt Math on the computer and the students loved it. We have so much to teach that I think sometimes various forms of technology are left out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Using the Harcourt math software at our school is amazing! My students love the different activities that enhance concepts they've already learned within the classroom. The software keeps track of their level and progress which allows them to work at their own pace and ability. The software allows them to explore many aspects of basic technology understandings such as how to use a mouse, listening through headphones, navigating software, keyboard typing, etc. I would like to find another software program that teaches math besides Harcourt, to add excitement for my students. Are there any software programs you use in the computer lab that your students enjoy that would be appropriate for kinderagarten?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am have been impressed with the online programs that are associated with textbooks and in my case software. Are you all using this software at the school or at home? I like the idea have accessible software for home but there are two big challenges that I see. One was discussed in this chapter of not all students having access to a computer and the other of simply time. It takes an amount of time to start a computer and get on the internet. After this the student will have less time for the work. I struggle now to keep homework time with in reason. I guess this is another balance of technology use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lore, Great comment---"I enjoyed reading about the history of technology and how over time the quality of technology improved through many inventions over time." What will be next? The creativity of people is incredible! Then, what will be teachers do with it?
    Great job on your reflection.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete