Friday, October 30, 2009

Stacey Terrill- chapter 2

This chapter is more difficult than the first to apply to my situation since I do not teach in a classroom and am teaching adults. One important aspect in integrating technology for my area is to consider the learner. Not only do learners vary in technology available but also in ability to use the technology available to them. My parents are enrolled in one of the programs I am working on and although they have a computer they are limited in their knowledge of how to use it. I think this is true of much of the adult audience. Unless they have a job requiring the use of technology or have taken the initiative to stay current, they lag behind their children who are exposed to computers and technology on a daily basis. I feel this is a huge obstacle in adult education since most of the participants did not grow up using computers. I have to consider multiple delivery methods in order to reach all adult learners which can be difficult.

After reading this chapter I think it will be important to teach the value of technology as a way to gain information. It may help those who are hesitant if they can see value in new modes of delivery. Also, knowing my audience and that many adult learners use education as a social network opportunity the use of blogs may be beneficial to connect statewide with other adults interested in the same areas.

My main concern remains the lack of acceptance by my target audience in accepting new methods of delivery and education.

2 comments:

  1. Stacey,

    This is in regards to your concern. I can understand how your students may feel intimated and unsure of there abilities to efficiently use technological tools. I think it is really important to encourage and teach your students to learn to use these modern devices. Perhaps once they experience sucess they will be more willing to continue learning how to incrporate technology into their lives. It seeems like often people become hesistant when they are asked to make changes into the ways they are accustomed to doing things. However, once we realize the change can make our lives easier, we are more likely to accept it. Cellphones, for example, were items that many people swore they would never have for various reasons. Now it's really out of the "norm" to not own one. Once you are able to break away from your students hesitation perhaps they will be able to view themselves as capable users of modern technological tools that will not only make their lives easier but will also make them more competitive adults.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacey, your comment-"I think it will be important to teach the value of technology as a way to gain information" is reinforced by Alicia's comments to you, which are so true and helpful!
    Just think how many adults now have cellphones and couldn't be without one!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete