Friday, October 30, 2009

Stacey Terrill- Chapter 1

Since I am not in a traditional classroom setting and will be teaching adults I am nervous of integrating technology into teaching. This chapter is not as applicable to me since I am educating adults but two main ideas really interest me. When thinking of "digital immigrants" as opposed to "digital natives" (pg. 4) I feel as though my target audience is primarily made up of "digital immigrants" that may require instruction on computer-based technologies. Second, I see a need and advantage to using technology in my teaching because education will be statewide and not in a classroom setting meaning myself and those involved in creating the curriculum for our program need to stay updated on the most effective educational delivery means. Current education methods have been shown ineffective in the program area I am now part of so instead of teaching the way we have in the past it is time to use new methods. The idea of "robbing children of tomorrow" (pg 1) is true for adults as well in the idea that despite our level of knowledge in technology we live in an ever advancing society.

One way I see a use for integrating computer-based technology into my content area is the use of podcasts and digital storytelling to communicate ideas statewide. This could save on travel time and money to deliver lessons statewide. I also the use of technology be beneficial in adult education is developing presentations that are non-linear. Adults have varying levels of knowldege reagarding Integrated Pest Management and being able to direc the sminar/workshop to fit their interests and needs could be beneficial.

My main concern for integrating various techonolgy into my delivery methods is the acceptance by my audience. I am younger than most my auidences (who are all adult learners) and wonder if they will be openminded in learning using techonlogy. I fear it may hinder my abiity to connect with my target audience.

1 comment:

  1. Stacey, your comments are so true whether teaching adults or younger people-- " instead of teaching the way we have in the past it is time to use new methods." Adult need to use the current technologies too or they get behind! you can reach so many people by using webinars, podcasts and blogs to teach and share your content!
    Good job on your reflection,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete