Thursday, October 29, 2009

Michael Wagner's Post for Chapter 2

I agree with the book when it talks about how important it is for teachers to be familiar with the “basic operations” of the internet. It is amazing that changing the structure of your search can bring up entirely different results from a previous search on seemingly the same topic. Another point of interest to me, even if I disagree with it in its entirety, is that NETS feels it is important to create an exhaustive unit plan for a few weeks’ worth of classwork. I feel it is important to know where you are going, what your goals are, and how to get from Point A to Point B. However, I don’t feel it is necessary to spend that amount of time for every unit in every class on such a specific and oftentimes unnecessary plan. Finally, the NETS-T Standard VI, Social, Ethical, Legal and Human Issues brings up a great point about needing to be a good model as a teacher. It rightly points out that students will often follow what they see the teacher do regardless of what they have been told. So, if you create a slide show with music in the background that has been used illegally, the student may reconcile pirating music or even movies because the teacher has not shown proper use or respect of copyright.

One new idea that I would like to concentrate more on is creating a student learning environment through various technology resources as talked about in NETS-T Standard II. For instance, in my classroom, I need to think more about how students can demonstrate their projects or information in an organized manner while meeting the needs of different learners. Secondly, NETS-T Standard II also discusses project-based learning. PBL brings up application-based learning which can then more easily be taken and applied in the real-world than just something that has been rote memorized. I can make sure that students are using the correct and most effective technology to help their projects be the most useful to them. Project-based learning is something that can find a place in every classroom and is effective in student learning.

I am concerned with the implementation of these standards being used carte blanche. Technology should be used to enhance learning and make it more valuable. It does not need to be used just to be used.

4 comments:

  1. I feel as though your concern is connected with my overall concern about integrating technology in teaching. I strongly believe that technology should not be used just to be used. Children are already spending on average 40 hours/week infront of a screen of some sort contributing to their disconnection with nature. As a kindergarten teacher, I am committed to using technology in a creative, effective way and not just to use it to say I did. When integrating technology in my classroom, I use it to enhance my existing curriculum. If I will be adding "screen time" to a child's week, I believe it should be well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not understand how this comment was posted as Lore's, but Kate Wampler posted the response above.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel as though your concern is connected with my overall concern about integrating technology in teaching. I agree that technology should not be used just to be used. Children are already spending on average 40 hours/week in front of a screen of some sort, contributing to their disconnect with nature. As a kindergarten teacher, I am committed to using technology in a creative, effective way not just to use it to say I did. When integrating technology in my classroom, I use it to enhance my existing curriculum. If I will be adding "screen time" to a child's week, I believe it should be well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael, I agree with your comment--"I feel it is important to know where you are going, what your goals are, and how to get from Point A to Point B." Teachers have a tremendous responsibility in choosing when or when not to use technology- I go by the same rule as you-- use it when it enhances student learning and not just because it is there!
    Terrific reflection!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete