Friday, December 11, 2009

Alicia McEwen's Chapter 10 Reflection

I have mixed feelings about the information presented in chapter 10. I do agree with the fact that our students need to be exposed and properly taught how to use different sources of technology. They will need these skills for their future careers. As their teachers, it is our responsibilty to teach them to become capable, productive adults. My concern lies within the fact that as we integrate all this technolgy it seems like we are letting go of many of the simple but valuable human abilities, like being able to do math and write with paper and pencil. I just can't help but to feel a little saddened by the thought of loosing these abilities.

I think it would be fun to take a form of technology (like a phone) and show the kids how its changed throughout the years. Phones would be fun because they have been around for so long and the forms of them have changed so much.

I'm going to sound like a hypocrit because I love my cell phone and computer. Both have made my life so much easier. I can even do my Masters online! This has given me the opportunity to spend more time with my daugter, and I am so grateful for that. However,
I am just worried that the generation of our students won't know how to appreciate the simplicity of life without being surrounded by technolgy.

1 comment:

  1. Alicia,
    You said, "I am just worried that the generation of our students won't know how to appreciate the simplicity of life without being surrounded by technolgy." So many do not know how restful silence can be! I don't know if they will miss it since many have never know it. My students often ask about technology and how it might interfer with student's learning basics of reading and writing and math etc.. Thank you for your thoughts!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete