Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Michael Wagner’s Chapter 7 Post
I was most interested in using mail services in my classroom. Setting up a mailing list per class could be highly valuable for assigning projects, mailing missed notes, or class discussions. I have thought seriously about using such a service but the big limiting factor, as was discussed in the chapter, is that our school limits the use of emails. There is no firewall on them but the only students allowed to use email on school grounds are juniors and seniors. The chapter also discussed having a school-based email which may be possible. There is an email server for faculty but it may be possible to have a class based email set up.
Databases bring up a great way for students to access data that they would not otherwise have, from very professional places. I currently use Geographical Information Systems (GIS) software for a data interpolation which gives great access to databases. The best thing about GIS is that it gives students a very picture oriented view of their data versus a spread sheet or database. I give a very small glimpse of this in my classes but I would do well to use it more. Also this software called ArcView is available to all Montana teachers for free if they attend a workshop.
The link is
http://www.spatialsci.com/index.php/sID/aa017b03/fuseaction/programs.cms.htm
My concern brought up by this chapter is using Chat rooms. I am not sure of how these can be good for information gathering or discussions. I can see if it is set up in a manner where only your class can access it and you have to be present for them to discuss then it may work. I could see needing a lot of facilitating to keep students talking and on topic at least with the students I have now. I see the use of blogs as a better choice with similar outputs, due to the easy set-up and control.

1 comment:

  1. The class mail item does hold promise, but our internet use rules at my school are more strict - no students are allowed access to outside e-mail accounts. And we cannot depend on students having access to home computers because some simply don't have them or internet access. It is tough enough getting in touch with some parents.

    I'm also not too excited for using chat rooms for grades 7-12. I can understand where they are useful in college, such as we've been doing, but when we have access to our students on a daily basis, besides introducing students to what they are, the practicality is limited.

    ReplyDelete