Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Michael Wagner's Chapter 9 Post

Chapter 9
This chapter gave a lot of information on web authoring; some of it I knew about but lots of information that I had no clue about. The biggest interest factor for me in this chapter was the help in the web page designing process. Before learning these phases, I spent much more time creating the web pages than I would now. I have built several web pages and websites for both my 7-12 classes and for the classes that I am enrolled in through the university. Each time I create a web page, it seems there is a newer and better way to do it. It would have been very beneficial for me to know the web page production phases. Organization of the information has always been my downfall in the construction phase.
My one application taken from this chapter would be to use web-authoring software for building a portfolio. My only issue with what is discussed in this chapter is that my students’ portfolios would not be organized sequentially. This would possibly make it more difficult to be sure to view all of their projects or the progression of their learning. The advantage would be the visually appealing images and graphics.
My concern from this chapter comes from the paragraph stating “that you must protect the anonymity of your subjects – your student” (pg 208). I agree but the difficulty is when either I take pictures or my students take pictures, I don’t always take into account that their faces are in the picture. The pictures are then unusable. I am not sure of what other teachers do for this.

1 comment:

  1. At the school I teach at we have all of our parents read through an AUP form and sign whether or not they will allow their child's face on our district's website. I love the idea of including photos that capture students' achievement and the special activities they are involved in. The kids love seeing themselves on the website. It makes them feel very proud of their accomplishments or whatever special thing they were being recognized for. It's really sad that this is something that we have to be careful with and concerned about. I think it's a good point to remember that although the Web offers us many great opportunities it's extremely important to approach things like posting our students' photos with caution. Thanks for bringing this up.
    Alicia McEwen

    ReplyDelete