Sunday, December 13, 2009

Kate Wampler's Chapter 9 Reflection

1 New Learning

I found the information on probeware to be very interesting and exciting. I didn't know that such complex technologies could be used to teach concepts such as velocity, temperature, thermal pollution and distance. I think that students would learn so much more about scientific concepts through the use of probeware than traditional lectures. If I taught at the middle or high school levels I would use probeware and it's real time data devices to measure, store and analyze data in order to provide my students with hands-on, student centered activities.

1 Integration Idea

The meaning of a graph is a major concept that is taught in kindergarten. Although they get numerous opportunties to use simple bar graphs on paper to collect information about various things, I would love to use a graphing calculator in the computer lab and have the students orally help me enter information into the graphing calculator. I believe my students would benefit tremendously from seeing the many uses of a graphing calculator.

1 Concern

With all the technologies out there, which ones should I focus on teaching my kindergarteners to ensure they are ready for subsequent grades? Although I am familiar with the National Technology Standards, they are far too general and do not provide specific benchmarks for each grade, making it overwhelming for a teacher to determine what they should teach their students about technology.

1 comment:

  1. I think that the NETS have more meaning as they approach 4th grade- there are certain skills that these students should possess by the end of 4th grade,and really, I don't think they can accomplish many of the NETS too much before that grade.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete