Saturday, December 5, 2009

Dave Neal, Week Six, Chapter Eight Reflection

One idea that is of interest to me:
I really like the idea of concept mapping on the computer...however, I don't know if there are any free programs available on the web for this, or if it is something that can be created using PowerPoint or Word. I like the example shown in table 8.7 with polygons. I have always wondered how I can incorporate technology into my math classes (other than math games), and I feel that concept mapping is a great way to do this.

One idea for integrating technology for student learning in my classroom:
I think it would be great to have the students create a movie following a series of steps, all integrating technology. Start with story-boarding using digital concept mapping, write a script using Word, edit the script using Track Changes, and either film it and upload it to the computer and edit it, or create a digital cartoon using an online program like www.xtranormal.com (I will post this link on www.delicious.com as well.

One concern for integrating technology for student learning in my classroom:
I suppose that my main concern for integrating more multimedia technology into the classroom is my main concern for general computer-based instruction, and that is when is it too much? I feel that there are so many options and programs available with technology that I could spend an entire day in the tech-lab. I do think it is important to keep some of the traditional aspects of education in tact...however the vast possibilities of the tech-lab often pull me back in. It is often a worry of mine that I spend too much time in the tech-lab...however, it seems like the kids learn so much from these resources. I think I am starting to ramble....

2 comments:

  1. I am also interested in connecting technology with math, and found webquests to be a very meaningful and fun way to connect the two subject areas. I had my students complete a webquest on solid, 3-D shapes as we were studying this in our curriculum. Not only did they love it, but often refer back to the webquest when identifying a solid figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The above comment was made by Kate Wampler

    ReplyDelete