Sunday, December 13, 2009

Kate Wampler's Chapter 10 Reflection

1 New Learning

Although I had an idea of what a hypertext was and how it worked, I did not associate the term hypertext with it's meaning. After reading this chapter, I can confidently say that I know a hypertext is widely available information that is linked and cross referenced in many different ways. I can't imagine the amount of time people used to spend finding information about a specific topic, thought, or question. It is so easy to access information thanks to hypertext!

1 New Idea

Although I read many poems in my class with my students, I think it would be fun to create a hyperlinked document poem. For the rhyming words I could create links to images so visual learners can connect with the lesson. I could also create links for vocabulary words that are confusing for my students, so they could get a visual image of what the word is providing them with a meaingful connection to the new word.

1 Concern
The various technologies that were addressed and introduced in this chapter got me thinking about which specific technologies I should be introducing my students to. I am confused as to what exactly I should be teaching at the kindergarten level. Should I be introducing my students to hypermedia, and if so in what form? Additionally, I am confused as to how often and how much I should expose my kindergarten students to current technology in general.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! You can have a hypertext link in word, powerpoint, on web pages, in blogs, podcasts, wiki, etc. These are links to web pages. IF you are writing a paper and want to reference a web page, you can click on INSERT > Hyperlink> paste the URL (web address) in, and OK. When reading the text on your computer, if you click the link it will go to that web page. The same works in PowerPoint. It is a very nice feature.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete