Sunday, December 6, 2009

Kate Wampler's Chapter 8 Reflection

1 New Learning

My understanding of a "literate citizen" has expanded through reading this chapter. I always thought of a "literate citizen" as a person who could read, write and do arithmetic. Now I have broadened my interpretation of a "literate citizen" to include being media literate as well. For a person to be media literate, they should be able to critically think and creatively produce media using a variety of formats and resources.

1 New Idea for Integration

After teaching the reading comprehension strategy of understanding the sequence of story structure such as the beginning, the middle, and the end, I plan to create a digital story with each of my students. I will record them telling a story of their choice to assess their understanding of the beginning, the middle, and the end of a story. Before making a digital story with them, I will allow them opportunities to map out their stories using pictures, kidspiration, etc. After they have visually organized their story, I will ask them to orally tell it to me, using a camcorder to create create their digital story.

1 Concern

Because this chapter made it clear that becoming familiar and knowledgeable about using media tools to create graphics, movies, animations, etc., I feel it is important to teach my students basic skills that they will need to use media tools on future assignments in future grades. What can I do as a kindergarten teacher to get my students ready for using media tools to creatively produce?

No comments:

Post a Comment