Friday, December 4, 2009

Chapter 7 Reflection

Chapter 7 reminded us that the internet can be a very valuable source in education. The internet has the ability to expand learning and content in so many ways. I appreciate the fact that this chapter also encouraged us to teach kids the proper and safe usage of the internet. I think this is extremely important for us to do. Kids are so curious and vulnerable at times. The internet potentially exposes them to harmful situations. I agree that just how we teach stranger danger, we should also teach internet safety. Another point brought up was that we also need to teach our students how to identify valuable and legit sources. The internet has the ability to offer our students wonderful opportunities to learn, research, and communicate. We just need to make sure our students learn how to do this in a safe, effective way.

I have been thinking about having my students communicate with their pen pals through some sort of web source. I have decided that I will continue having my students handwrite their individual letters to their pen pals but will also use e-mail to compose "class letters." I will have my students help me brainstorm ideas of what we would like to write in our e-mail and then I will type the letter in front of them. My hopes are that my pen pal teacher in Oregon will have her class respond in the same way. I think this way my 1st graders are benefiting from practicing their handwriting and letter writing skills with their individual letters, but are also being exposed to and learning how e-mail works.

My concern for this week is not knowing where to start with teaching my kids about internet safety. Our school computers limit certain internet site access. However, I know most of my kids have computers at home. Is teaching internet safety something I should be doing at the 1st grade level or should I be leaving that up to parents at this point?

No comments:

Post a Comment