Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Jennifer Atkinson, Chapter 7 Reflection

Idea or learning
The big idea I took from Chapter 7, The Internet and Databases, was that “students need to consistently experience expanding instruction that engages them in exploring the basic operations, concepts and constructs with the various Internet services and database capabilities” (Niess, Lee, Kajder, 2007, p. 139). I know I use technology to enhance lessons, but my students do not have a lot of background knowledge with the different Internet services and databases listed in this chapter. Some things my students use the computer for are a few programs that go along with math and language arts, basic typing, and some research. After reading this chapter, I have more ideas of how to use the different options available with the Internet.

New idea for integrating technology
I love the idea of virtual field trips. Last year, my students did one virtual field trip, but there are so many resources out there, that they could be doing a lot more. Virtual field trips would tie into almost any subject. It would just take some exploring to find sites that work well with what the students are studying. Having the students keep a journal of their field trip is a great idea. Then, students can share their findings with their classmates.

Concern
My concern is that teachers need to know about all of this technology and also how to teach it. I find it challenging with everything else we teach to fit in teaching technology. In addition, I do not know how to use all of this technology, and do not have specific technology resources for the content that I teach. So, it takes me a lot of time and preparation to develop technology lesson plans.

4 comments:

  1. Jennifer,
    I also have the same concern. There is so much to learn about technology and it is changing on a daily basis. I try to set a goal of what technological tools I would most like to use for the year and what tools would benefit the grade that I am teaching. This year, I am focusing on my SMARt board. There is so much to learn about it, but next year I may try to focus on another tool that invovles technology. This helps me focus on teaching and keep my students on track with technology

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once saw a link on using Google Earth for virtual field trips. I believe in the educational program for Google earth there are KML files specific for virtual trips. I never looked myself but that could be an interesting way to research an are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The idea of a virtual field trip is amazing as field trip costs are increasing with high gas prices. Also, when studying a curriculum written by a national textbook company like Harcourt, the units are not always place-based making it difficult to find a field trip opportunity in the local community to connect to each unit. Although I would much rather have my students get the real, hands-on experience of a true field trip, I am happy to know that the virtual field trip can always exist as a Plan B option.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The above comment was made by Kate Wampler

    ReplyDelete