Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Jennifer Atkinson, Chapter 8 Reflection

Idea or learning
The big idea I took from Chapter 8, Multimedia and Media Literacy, is that students need to be media literate, not just literate. Students need to be able to share ideas and communicate not just by words on paper, but also through image, language, and sound (Niess, Lee, Kajder, 2007, p. 161). To meet this goal, it is important to have student-centered lessons, so they are engaged with the technology and in the learning. Being media literate is a skill they will need for the rest of their lives.

New idea for integrating technology
If students are engaged and interested in the lesson, usually they will learn more from it and make connections with prior knowledge. When students have input, they are more engaged in the lesson. I like the idea of having the students take part in the instruction step of lessons. As described in the book, “consider a different approach for providing the instructions, one that requires the students to be responsible for identifying what needs to be done and one that allows the students choices in how the instructions are presented” (p.176). I have done this with my students and they feel like they are leading the lesson. The students are more attentive with these types of lessons.

Concern
One of my concerns is knowing what multimedia programs are realistic for my third grade students to work on. When I get my students, they have almost no previous computer experience at school. I do not have a lot of experience with some of these programs either. My students have kindergarten buddies already, but I am thinking that with some of these technology lessons, it might be good to buddy up with a Middle School class. Then, my students will get exposure to different multimedia programs, but will have some guidance from students that have more knowledge and experience.

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer,
    I like your idea about having computer buddies with students from Middle School. This would give them the opportunity to work one on one with an older student. I too struggle with finding a multimedia program that would be easily used by second graders. Next year, I plan on teaching technology a little differently to my students. I think I will begin with the basics and stay consistent with building their computer skills. Then I plan to broaden my use of integrating technology into projects. Lore S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Lore said, technology mentoring seems like a great option. I look at the way kids learn video games, they never look in the manual or find a tutorial, they watch their friends a few times and off they go. Games are going to be a bit different but students can pick things up faster than we think. It may be a bit different with less interesting software though.

    ReplyDelete