Monday, November 30, 2009

Ch. 8 Reflection - Bryan Pechtl

I found this chapter to be most helpful, especially pages 168-172, where the authors discuss the various stages of multimedia design process. I had my 11th grade class last year record oral histories of people that lived through the Great Depression, a first-time project, and I found that the ideas of ‘preproduction’ given in the book could have helped me instruct my students last year. This year, my project(s) include finishing editing those interviews and conducting fresh interviews with veterans. It will be important for students to understand how important the planning phase really is, from planning questions to planning how to shoot the video with the subject and the questions involved.

To integrate the tech in my classroom, I have been working with my local county museum trying to figure out different projects that we can work on that will benefit my students and the museum, which has limited funds but does an outstanding job at preserving local history. I wrote a grant for the museum to purchase a computer and digital camcorder to record oral histories, and I just received word that it came through. Not it’s time to use the equipment. As mentioned above, my juniors this year will interview local veterans from World War II to the present wars in Iraq & Afghanistan.

My only concern is the technology. It is important to have quality products for the students to use or they can quickly become frustrated. It’s one of the reasons that I wrote the grant. I wanted to get a computer that will allow the students a thoroughly fast computer to edit their documentaries instead of working with a lethargic computer that was up to date five years ago. The cost of good equipment and the amount of equipment needed to complete the work in a timely manner will also be a challenge. Due to limited computers and cameras, I’m going to have to stretch my assignment for a few months to give students time to complete it properly.

3 comments:

  1. Bryan,
    So exciting to receive your new equipment and you have so many ideas for using them right when you receive them! I have found that even our college age students need to take the time for preproduction using storyboards--saves a lot of valuable class time with the equipment.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bryan,

    I am impressed at the big project your students do. What a great way to record the history of local veterans. I agree that the planning and preproduction step is so crucial. In addition, with the lack of cameras and computers your students have access to, it is so important that they take the time to do the this step. I can imagine it is challenging sharing the equipment and extending the time frame. But, what a great project. Jennifer Atkinson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bryan,
    Several years ago our history class did a similar activity with many of the senior citizens in our community, interviewing them and then writing reports. (classes were not really using video or even much technology at that time, --word processing and digital photos only. They even had a day that the seniors came to school and worked on the computers with the kids--looking at their stories and photos.
    Several years later my mother-in-law passed away-she had participated in the interviews. I remembered that report and we used it for much of the necessary information for the newspaper. We still have that precious memory--things we had not bothered to write down. This will be a great gift for your community.
    Cathy Ziebarth

    ReplyDelete