Monday, November 2, 2009

Chapt 4 Wk 2 Cathy Ziebarth

Chapter 4 Preparing Technologically Literate Students

3 ideas of learning that are of interest to me
NETS•S Performance Indicators are of interest to me. I have worked with the technology standards, administered the 8th grade TAGLIT assessment, and worked with teachers willing to integrate technology into their curriculum. The standards are very broad in the way they are written and leave a lot to interpretation. For example: Standard I. Basic Operations and Concepts- Demonstrate a sound understanding of the nature and operation of technology systems. 2. Are proficient in the use of technology. What exactly does that mean and how would a teacher access that students have met that goal? While the NETS•S may provide guidelines, I believe they are very difficult to implement and the assessment tool TAGLIT is basically a self assessment asking 8th graders to check a box if they feel they are familiar with a particular performance.

The second standard focuses on social, ethical and human issues. This one states that students exhibit acceptable behavior when it comes to scholarly, legal and ethical uses of technology. An example of infringement of this standard is downloading music without paying, sharing it, or making copies of software. These guidelines are pretty clear cut, yet when I discuss this with my students and present case studies, and I am amazed that students really don’t understand what is wrong with not paying for music, or making copies for a friend. We need to be vigilant and set a good example for students when it comes to copyright infringement, teaching students to cite accurately, and reinforcing ethical behavior.

The last statement that jumped out at me was the one that stated schools are expected to assure that all students have at least a basic knowledge of using technology for learning and communicating. The 1990s saw technology classes at all levels, they provided a foundation with technology. Today those types of classes are limited. So where does this responsibility fall—to the classroom teacher, who may be ill prepared to handle those responsibilities, and not have the time in a regular day to schedule yet another learning activity. Using technology is expensive to implement and maintain. Districts that struggle economically will be hard pressed to maintain the infrastructure, equipment and training needed to meet the NETS•S.

To integrate technology in my classroom I will address NETS•S VI-Technology problem-solving and decision making tools. I have a document camera and have not used it to its fullest extent. I know that I can freeze frame pictures, do video, store photos and recall them. I have used it for proofreading text, allowing the students to use proofreader’s marks, while the rest of the class is able to observe through the use of the overhead projector. Students couldn’t volunteer fast enough to be able to try it out and see their hands projected on the wall as they made corrections. I am going to involve my 8th grade class and have them work with a partner, research document cameras and demonstrate to the class one application. That will allow me to utilize the camera in a variety of ways, integrate technology through a cognitive process and meet two additional standards, productivity and problem solving tools. My second idea will work hand in hand with the document camera demonstration when I have students develop a guide for implementing the procedures they demonstrated. Students could use word processing, or mapping software to illustrate and describe the process, thus creating a guide for all students now and the remainder of the year.

One main concern about integrating technology for student learning after reading this chapter.
The authors states that, “before the school year begins, teachers consider what technologies they want to use to be sure that their students are able to use throughout the year” (Neiss, Lee & Kajder, 2007, p.57) I believe integrating technology is not a high priority for most teachers. If a technology is convenient, easy to use and teachers receive training, and the hardware is in their room and working, it may lead to implementation of a particular technology. I have witnessed reluctance to change, fear of new ideas, and not enough time in the day to meet the standard curriculum goals, let alone the technology standards. I’m not even sure most teachers realize there are technology standards. I’m concerned that there is a lack of training, understanding and time to adequately implement technology standards.

2 comments:

  1. Cathy,
    I’ve also found it surprising that students don’t have a firm grasp of the issues when it comes to ‘right and wrong’ regarding use of information from the web or downloading of music and movies. I mentioned it in another posting this week that I know of several teachers I’ve worked with in the past that they have no problems downloading music and books without paying. They see nothing wrong with that, so it is of little wonder that students aren’t learning the proper lesson. I’ve gotten more stringent when it comes to citations, as have some other teachers. Students think that by right clicking the mouse and inserting a synonym, the work they copied and pasted is now theirs, which cost a number of my students a passing grade for a writing assignment a couple of years ago. I now spend extra time explaining the concept so we are both on the same page.

    Bryan Pechtl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy, terrific reflection! You are really sharing what you think and how to apply to the classroom! I have my students use creativecommons.org for copyright free images. Click on FIND button, type the type of image you want (horse, house, etc) and the images that come back have been given, by the creator, for our use. Students do need to be reminded of copyright issues and be shown how to use images and music the proper way.
    Thanks for your ideas!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete