Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Chapter 6 Reflection by Jamie Pool

After reading chapter six: Spreadsheets, I am very eager to have my students create some sort of graph using the computer when we approach our graphing unit. There was so much useful information it was hard to pick one idea. However, some of the lessons and ideas in this chapter seemed a bit overwhelming because it has been such a long time since I have used a spreadsheet for graphing. When I was in college I used spreadsheets to create a budget for the Forest Service, but that was such a long time ago. After I finished reading I went into excel and played around with it to see what I knew and if it is possible to have third graders complete a graphing assignment through a spreadsheet. I thought the idea about using spreadsheets for problem solving was very interesting. I have a hard time using critical thinking skills to find more than one way to extend the problem. While teaching third grade, this is a very important task that I want my student to understand.

There are a couple of ideas that I would like to implement in my classroom. One of them is using a spreadsheet for checking –in before school. I created a check-in with my SMART board, but I find myself rarely using it. It had a picture of each student and they pulled a talking bubble up to their picture that said yes, hot lunch, or no thank you. I think it was just too crowded and I didn’t find it beneficial. I think I am going to create a graph using a spreadsheet so when students come in they graph whether they are having hot or cold lunch. We could use this information to talk about greater than, less than, and equal. Then students could visualize how many kids are having hot or cold lunch. Another idea I would like to incorporate in my classroom when we get to the graphing unit is graphing colored objects on the computer. I know my students would just love this activity. There are so many different ways to integrate graphing with technology and I hope to use this tool more often.

My only concern for using spreadsheets is my own knowledge. I don’t feel that I am good enough to teach a graphing lesson using the computer. I feel that I need to take more professional development classes to help with confidence in teaching this area.

2 comments:

  1. I fully understand your hesitancy regarding teaching spreadsheets. I feel the same way and have not utilized spreadsheet much in my current status. The kindergarten teacher next door to me using a chart with names, squares, and days of the week for children to decide daily if they want milk or not. It seems to work very well. I think this type or route is meaningful and very chartable. I also found this chapter very informative and look forward to utilizing in my classroom and for the Capstone Project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie, check out the website http://exchange.smarttech.com/ and do a search for spreadsheet lessons for elementary using the SmartBoard. There were some kindergarten and young grade lessons already made!
    Also, a google search on spreadsheet lesson plans for elementary gives many hits.
    Give it try and let us know how it goes with your students!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete