Thursday, November 5, 2009

Jennifer Burke Chapter 4

3 Ideas
  • Today, 21st century, students are taught to be able to actually apply knowledge, not just have it. It make complete sense. I feel like I have so much useless knowledge, because I don't really know how to apply it or relate to it.
  • Unlike the 20th century, teachers are expected to scaffold upon students knowledge through various forms of strategies and exploration. It is interesting that long ago, students were expected to learn one way. Furthermore, if they did not understand it was not the teacher's fault.
  • Today there are so many forms of technology we can and are expected to teach even at the earliest of grades. I see this as a blessing and problem, but if approached correctly each student can get the best of both worlds.
2 New Ideas
  • Take pictures of items in the classroom that have different shapes and have students sort and classify. Perhaps, later in the year have students take pictures and write stories.
  • Calculators can be utilized to help students practice numbers and check addition and subtraction problems.
1 Concern
  • Technology is amazing, but I often worry about it replacing exercise, play, and conversation.

4 comments:

  1. Your concern of technology vs. real life seems to be a general concern amongst most in this class, including me. I coach junior high football and I have several students that get to the first day of practice and I know that will be the first day they have done anything active that summer. I know this is not technology's fault, but if we take too much activity out of school they sure will not get that activity at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer,
    I share you concern about technology replacing excercise, play, and conversation. I have noticed over the years that we are moving to an inactive life style. I notice when I come home and then work on the computer I feel sluggish. I think that children already spend to much time in front of a tv or computer playing games. Their brains are becoming reprogrammed to recieve stimuli at a greater rate than when I was a child. I think that this effects how students are able to attend at school. I think this is very sad.
    Lore Sampson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer- I think we all share your concern. I have worked with students over the years (at the college level) for whom much of their time was spent socializing through the computer. For what ever reason, they made the decision to socialize personally in the "virtual" realm rather than the physical realm. These students were out of shape and I believe much of it stemmed from sitting at the computer for hours a day!
    Back to the reading, you mentioned "if they did not understand it was not the teacher's fault." The old behaviorist view- I am so glad we have research in teaching and learning to guide us in using more student-centered, mentoring approaches.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer,
    It is amazing to see how far technology has advanced in society today. Like others, I share the same concern. So many of my students get out of school go directly home and play on the computer, watch TV, or play video games. I find this very sad. I don't assign homework very often besides their daily reading and Tic-Tac-Toe homework, which is due on Friday. About two to three days a week I will assign homework that involves students to do something outside. Other times, I will just ask them to take a 10 minutes walk with their family or by themselves. The next morning they check in with me and I ask them what they did outside. Sometimes I will check in with parents. I just feel that if I give them ideas they will go out and do them. I teach third grade and I feel that they are pushed so hard academically that, they need time to just be kids. Assigning this kind of homework allows that to happen.
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete