Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Chapter 11 Reflection - Bryan Pechtl

Ideas or learnings of interest (3):

The first thing that caught my eye in this reading were the implications for teaching with technology on page 244, where the authors talk about planning when teaching with technology. The guidance that they need when working with a new technology and whether or not the students will be purposefully allowed to learn by trial and error are important questions. I’ve found in the past that when I over-plan when using technology, it still isn’t enough! The varying skill levels of the students sometimes surprises me. I think that a common misconception people have is that kids know how to use every aspect of technology. I tend to disagree, believing that kids are fantastic at e-mail and surfing the web, but when it comes to a specific program, they need the same guidance as everyone else. I think the difference between the adults and children is that the students are fearless and pushing a button and just seeing what happens! I agree with the authors that learning activities need to be scaffolded to assist in learning new technology to aid in its acquisition.

Second, the ‘Inquiry-Based Indirect Instruction Model’ talked about on pgs. 247-248 are generally how I try to teach a new technology in the classroom. In my US History class of Juniors, we will be starting a new project this year, videotaping veterans from WWII to present. I just asked the students recently if any of them have any experience with movie editing, a key element of the assignment – everyone of the 25 said ‘no’. Because of the nature of the work involved, I’ll give an overview of the software we’ll be using, Microsoft Movie Maker, to the entire class using a projector while I’m at the computer giving a demonstration of how this program allows video and voice editing. We’ll also have the main class editors go to the Movie Maker site and read about some quick tips and trick. From there, once we have the interviews conducted, the students themselves will download them and begin the editing process. We jump into the ‘independent practice’ phase with the final editing of the project, which is challenging, but the students enjoy.

The final item that I found interesting was the various teaching strategies listed on pgs. 249-254. I use each one of the strategies listed when it comes to technology, and I generally use each one while instructing one new technology. I always try to give a demonstration to eliminate having to answer the same answer twenty times in a computer lab. From there, kids get a hands-on activity in the lab to practice the technology. Once we’ve completed the lesson, I question them about their work and experience. Finally, if it’s something like the video project I listed above, students are in groups working together to complete the project, assisting one another in a variety of way.

Two new ideas for integrating tech (2):

Though I listed it above, I’ve not always taken the time to pre-teach the technology in the classroom – I try, but an sometimes in a hurry. I’m going to have to make a more concerted effort to make that happen on my part.

Second, I’m probably going to include a questionnaire for my students that have completed a lesson to get their feedback to see if there are any aspects of the lesson that they believe should be adjusted. I think their feedback is critical to future success, and this is one way of accomplishing that.

One point of concern for integrating tech (1):

Much like in my reflection from last week’s posting, the only concern to integrate technology is the ability level and experience some kids have when compared to others. Many kids have computers at home, which allows them a greater opportunity to practice their technology skills. Others have almost no experience, which can lengthen the time necessary to instruct. How much time I need to commit to teaching Microsoft Movie Maker can be a real challenge and can affect the quality of the project we’re working on.

1 comment:

  1. Bryan, when you discuss the many challenges that teachers have when integrating technology (student skill levels, the time to learn the technology, etc) it almost seems overwhelming!! Thank you for sharing your concerns! It does take time to do it, but usually, in the end, your student projects are fantastic!
    If students have a pc at home, they can use Photo Story to add pictures and narrate- they are saved as .mov. It is not the same as actual video, but to help those without all the technology available, it is free!
    Let us know how your digital storytelling projects goes!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete