Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Lore Sampson's Chapter 4 Reflection

Chapter 4- Technology Standards for Students

Three ideas or learning from the reading
After reading this chapter I learned that students in the twenty-first century need to be literate citizens. Not only do our children have to be literate in reading, writing, and mathematics they must also be literate in technology. Some of the fundamental strategies I learned that students need to be competent in to become productive citizens is the following expectations. Students need to learn how to use basic skills of applications as well as use technology to help find solutions to problems. Students are also expected to use technology to learn and be able to think strategically with technology. The next important idea I learned from this weeks reading includes the responsibilities that teachers must accomplished in order to effectively prepare his or her students to be ready to function in today’s information age. This leads me to the last idea I want to share which is the National Standards for Technology. These standards are designed to act as a guide for teachers to integrate technology with in their content areas to teach students how to be technologically literate.

Two new ideas for integrating technology
The first idea I have for integrating technology in my classroom includes creating a blog for my class on our district website. Students would be given the opportunity to post their best writing on the blog. Students would be able to view their work throughout the year and in turn they would see how much their writing has improved. The next idea I have for integrating technology in my classroom is using a calendar on my SMART board (when I get one) to teach students important calendar skills.


One concern about integrating technology
My main concern after reading this chapter is being able to keep up with all the advances in technology to properly teach my students.

4 comments:

  1. One of the first things you covered in your review was the topic of literacy of techonology in comparison to other areas of education. Do you ever wonder if technological literacy begins to take away from the basic reading/writing literacy that our generation (and prior generations) put so much emphasis on? What brings me to this question is that I often see students incapable of spelling correctly without Microsoft Word underlining their misspelled words. Things seem to be changing....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That comment was from Dave Neal. (forgot to write my name)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lore,
    It is so hard to try to keep up with technology these days. I feel that way with my SMART board in my classroom. Every time I turn around there is something that we need to purchase that they have updated. I think it is fantastic that my kids are able to have this wonderful interactive technology in the classroom, but there are so many things to learn that sometimes it can really become overwhelming. I know with my SMART board, everyday we use the Storytwon website to enhance learning. The kids love it. I still do plenty of basic reading/writing in my lessons, but the SMART board allows for interaction for all students. This is just engaging for their little minds. I have noticed a big difference in attention while I am teaching.
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe that the basics should come first, then use technology when it enhances learning or provides opportunities for higher level thinking. Students at that point, use the technology to do things quicker, easier, etc.
    Good comments Lore!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete