Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Dave Neal, Week Three, Chapter Twelve Reflection

Three ideas or learnings from your reading that you are of interest to me:
  1. In the beginning of chapter twelve, the authors use an example of Mr. Wyngard teaching a unit on colonial America using technology. They explain that educators generally have a basic knowledge of material, but they need to review and reconnect with material before teaching it. To me, this is the beauty and one of the main reasons that I love this profession. I truly enjoy reconnecting with knowledge that I was (or in some cases never was) taught in my past and diving to a deeper understanding. If an educator is passionate about learning a subject, that passion reflects when he/she teaches it.
  2. Effective lessons are prepared! I second that motion. During the first years of my teaching career, I have sent students to the tech-lab to research a topic (without testing the research myself) and have run into brick walls. I have learned that it is extremely important to conduct the research that I want my students to conduct before I take the class into the tech-lab. This is just as important as conducting a science experiment on your own before you do it with a class. This way you can figure out the potential pitfalls before your students find them.
  3. Enthusiasm is essential. Without it...the students suffer, and so do you. Teaching without enthusiasm can mean a few things: A. You are over it and need a new profession. B. You are not feeling well and should probably go home. B. You need to change things up and find interest in what you are teaching. Most often, in my opinion, it is case C. If I find that I am losing enthusiasm, it tells me that I need to challenge myself to find a more innovative, exciting way to teach. Hopefully this course will provide me new methods in which I can deliver lessons.

Two new ideas for integrating technology for student learning in my own classroom/content area:

  1. I like Mr. Wyngard's lesson in which he used primary sources from the Library of Congress online digital collection. I teach American history to the fifth grade and this site could be very useful. It will be important to teach them how to use it...and I am sure that I will have to carefully explain what the documents are and what they mean to most students. Even so...analyzing primary documents, regardless if the student's can understand them completely is very important.
  2. I like the questions on table 12.5 The questions range from: Do the students understand the purpose of the lab? Are all the students trying? Looking at this list of questions made me realize that I do not spend enough time reflecting upon my taught lessons. Yes, I know when a lesson goes well and when a lesson bombs...but there are years when I repeat teaching a lesson that I do not necessarily like, or think goes well. My quality of teaching would only better I were to take more time to reflect with questions like the ones provided on table 12.5, and document my reflections.

What is my one main concern about integrating technology for student learning after reading this chapter?

  1. I suppose that my only concern that I have after reading this chapter regards lesson planning...and this does not necessarily have to do with technology. There was a lot of information about the outline and structure of lesson planning in this chapter, and it made me grateful that I do not have to write lesson plans for my administrator. I would like to know what the expectations are for lesson planning at your school.

3 comments:

  1. Dave,
    even though lesson planning takes me about two hours a week, it is worth it in the long run. I would not be prepared to teach with out my lesson plans. I plan the Tuesday before, and it helps me know what I am teaching for the next week. My administrator requires us to turn in what we are doing for every subject area. I usually write down the websites that I am using, the books, page numbers, and what reinforcment. These are pretty detailed. They are due Monday morning before school starts. When I get observed I write a complete lesoon plan with objectives, standards, the process, and assessment. Hope that helps.
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. We recently got a new principle that requires our lesson plans every quarter. This is more than what was required before as we had to turn them in at the end of the year. I know though that my are never read. I build my plans on an spread sheet program and are no where as detailed as in the text.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I teach at the same school as Jamie Pool. We are required to turn in our plans Monday morning. I agree with Jamie that my plans help me to stay organized and prepared. I learned a great time saving idea from one of my co-workers. Instead of writing my weekly plans out in a lesson plan book, I made a template of my plans in WORD. In the primary grades every day's schedule varies with special classes and such. Instead of having to hand write each of the times and classes, my template has this already done for me. For example, instead of having to write "P.E. 1:25", "Music 12:55", or "Switch For Reading Groups 9:20," all the subject headings are already personalized and there for me. All that I have to do is fill in the specifics (resources, pg. #'s and a brief description of the lesson). It takes me about an hour to do.

    Alicia McEwen

    ReplyDelete