Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Chapter 11 Wk 3 Cathy Ziebarth

Title: Models and Strategies for Technology Infused Lessons

3 ideas of learning –Instruction Models

I use the direct instruction model when introducing a new concept such as how to do an internet search effectively. Direct instruction is teacher centered, and would include a presentation or demonstration. Technology becomes very effective as I demonstrate on the computer, project using the overhead projector or directly to individual student screens, while explaining and providing examples. Students are then given the opportunity to practice and receive feedback.
Indirect instruction is student centered. The teachers role is to engage students, provide examples, ask questions and challenge students as they problem solve and construct understanding and evaluate their own responses. Indirect instruction is also known as inquiry.
Demonstrations work well in conjunction with direct instruction and technology. I frequently use demonstrations in combination with hands-on experiences for students. Students are generally eager to get their hands on the computers, so I use a show and tell, and then student guided practice and exploration. Keeping the demonstration short and to the point and allowing immediate practice seems to be effective when incorporating technology into the lesson plan.

2 ideas for integrating technology
It is important that my technology lessons are relevant and can be integrated throughout other curricular areas. 7th graders learn PowerPoint basics. I recently checked with the 8th grade science teacher as I heard they were doing PowerPoint presentations. She said they were lacking the skills to incorporate video into their presentations. I will demonstrate searching the internet for desired videos and we will evaluate their educational value. We will discuss copyright and educational use. Teacher demonstrations and student practice incorporating video into PowerPoint will be covered.

One main concern about integrating technology
The authors stated the importance of selecting problems that motivate and challenge students to use technology as a tool for exploration. Problems need to be relevant and realistic for the use of technology. I frequently change my lessons to make sure they are relevant, that proves to be time intensive especially when it comes to ever changing technology and staying up to date. My concern is evaluating lesson plans for relevance while avoiding the urge to implement the “latest and greatest” tech tools. I know I need to strike a balance with regard to the cost of implementing new technology, the time it takes and understanding the impact and relevance for students.

4 comments:

  1. I also use the direct instruction method to begin a new concept. I think it's good to have the students see how a technology works as a group,which can often eliminate a lot of the same questions in a computer lab later on by the class. Once the direct instruction is completed, the students get to the lab and begin to work on their own. I'm constantly on the move, though, monitoring how they progress, seeing that they are understanding the concepts. It may be a good idea, at least on my end, to include students in the pre-lab phase, having one of them at the computer while I am describing how to work a program. That person may in turn be able to assist in the lab with other students that have problems. Bryan Pechtl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bryan- "I'm constantly on the move, though, monitoring how they progress, seeing that they are understanding the concepts." Good teaching is hard work that takes a lot of energy! Good going!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy, some of my students were not putting their video .mov) into the same folder as the PowerPoint from which they linked- perhaps that could be the problem for your teacher --- probably too simple!
    You mentioned the balance that teachers need to find when integrating technology in to the content- with exploration and the willingness to experiment, we can usually find that balance::: sometimes technology is not needed to enhance relevance of a lesson.
    Thank you for your thoughts,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joan,
    Thanks for the suggestion about the video. I haven't started that lesson with the 8th graders, but have been guilty of exactly that, and couldn't figure out why my video didn't show up. Sometimes it is the simple things that drive you crazy when it comes to troubleshooting. I'm going to copy this as a reminder. thanks
    Cathy Z

    ReplyDelete