Thursday, November 5, 2009

Kate Wampler's Chapter Four Reflections

3 Learnings From the Reading

  • As a teacher, I often take advantage of recent technologies such as calculators and spell check. For example, I rarely think about the meaning of pi as the ratio of circumference to diameter; I think of pi as a button on the calculator to solve problems on tests or in books. Nor do I ever think about the spelling of a word as I know I can click on the spell check button at the end to correct the words I have spelled incorrectly. Education has changed focus to teaching students how to use the technology to solve problems, than understanding the raw skills necessary to solve problems.

  • Instead of assuming that students are ready to use a technology you want to use, it is important to determine students' readiness to use a particular technology for learning. As teachers, it is important to pre-assess students' readiness for using technology for learning as research shows negative effects are associated with practicing a skill without understanding it.

  • Understanding technology terminology is important in understanding its inner workings and meaning. I feel so much better now that I know what WIKI means as I will be using it for this class every week. I had no idea that WIKI is simply a Hawaiian word for fast and sometimes referred to as "What I know is" html for web communication.

2 Ideas for Integrating Technology Into the Classroom

  • Mr. Dixon's sixth grade lesson gave me the idea to have my kindergarten students create a math trail as a class. Instead of having them identify the plane and 3-D shapes they are introduced to in kindergarten such as circle, oval, square, rectangle, diamond, triangle, cube, sphere, prism and cylinder in a traditional way, I will take them to a park or around the school grounds to find real-world objects that have the same characteristics as the shapes they are learning about. For example, I would encourage them to find a real-world object that was a square, and they may identify a window as an example.

  • In the Classroom 4.1, provided me with the idea to use a power point presentation to teach an oral language lesson. I would have the students help me create a power point presentation with informal versus formal language. In one font I would put a slang term such as gotta, and use it in a sentence; we would talk about how this term would be okay to use with friends, or family, but when at school they should use the formal version. In another font, I would right the formal version of gotta, I have got to. I would continue the power point with each slide focusing on a commonly used informal words such as notta, seeya, etc.

1 Concern For Integrating Technology After This Week's Reading

With teachers and students heavy reliance on technological tools such as spell-check and calculators, will we lose sight of how to perform the important skills that are necessary to be successful learners?

3 comments:

  1. Kate,
    In regards to your concern, I have often wondered the same thing. How is technology going to affect the ability to use simple pencils and paper to write or solve math. Although I think it's a little sad, perhaps it's just not as necessary anymore. Most of us are already carrying around mini computers (our cellphones) that can easily be used to communicate with the world and help us solve our problems. Although I understand and see the importance of teaching our kids to become effective users of technology, I hope we never lose the craft of being able to handwrite. I think, as with many things within education, we need to keep a healthy balance of what kids need. Hopefully having the ability to communicate using their mind and ability to handwrite will always be within those needs.

    Alicia McEwen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate,
    I do believe that we can't completely lose the skills of paper and pencil. I still teach my introduction to drafting with mechanical drafting tools. The learning seems to be more concrete for students when it is not only on the screen in front of them. They also have to learn a lot sequential organizing to be able to design on paper. They are then able to hit the CAD programs better with more efficiency.
    Michael Wagner

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, Kate! You provided great activities that you can do with your students. Imagine giving them a flip video or digital camera to take images of shapes found at the part, then when back at the school, integrate those images into the PowerPoint. You gave all some good ideas.
    Also, you mentioned "research shows negative effects are associated with practicing a skill without understanding it." So very true!!!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete