Monday, November 9, 2009

Chapter 11 Posted by Jamie Pool

After reading chapter eleven Models and Strategies for Technology -Infused Lessons, I was able to better understand how students learn and teachers educate at best the technology curriculum. Just like the book says, I believe in order to have enough time to teach technology in our classrooms, we as teachers, need to integrate it within the content areas that are being taught. According to Neiss, Lee, and Kajder (2007), "if you imbed these tasks within the subject matter content (language arts, social studies, mathematics, science), your students will be more likely to connect the use of the technology as a tool for learning in that content" (p. 244). I think this is essential. I feel that I do this well because I have the resources in my classroom. This task would be more challenging for teachers who do not have the resources needed in their classroom.
Another learning idea that interested and motivated me from the reading was selecting problems that motivate and challenge students to use the technology as a tool for exploration. I just enjoy exploration and kids do too. I think engaging students with motivating lessons that include technology is a great way to get them more excited to explore with it. Another way that I believe is a great way to motivate students is to relate what they are learning to self, text and the world. If they can hook the concept being taught with something that is important to them they are more likely going to be engaged in what is being taught. It was great to read this section because it is a great reminder for my everyday teaching.
There are so many different teaching strategies that we as teachers use to motivate students. In my own teaching I use a variety of demonstration, hands-on activites, inferencing, small grouping, and whole group. I think if we use many different teaching strategies students will stay engaged in what is being taught. According to Neiss, Lee, Kajder (2007), " Students learn by interacting in multiple environments"(p. 254). It is importatnt that we find strategies that work for us as the teacher and that are effective and efficient in our classroom.
I liked how Mrs. Whitaker introduced her students to the computer stations the day before. Sometimes I get so overwhlemed with what we need to get in before Christmas, that I forget to slow down and make sure students are going to understand the task the first time.
Another idea that I would like to use more in my classroom is power point presentations. Since I have a SMART board it would be great to create Power point presentations for half my lessons so students can visually understand with pictures. I use some powerpoints with reading, but I would like to use more with mathematics, science, and social studies.
The only concern that I have is getting the time to create all these powerpoint lessons throughout the year. I also struggle with knowing if I will still be in the same grade level. So it is really hard to want to create all of these great activities when I might be moving the following year. The last two years I taught kindergarten and my room was set up the way that I wanted. I worked extra hard trying to get everything ready and then I was notifies of being moved. Not that it is a bad thing, but time is very precious and I want to use it at its best.
Jamie

1 comment:

  1. Jamie, you said it- there just isn't enough time to do everything that we would like to do! You also said, "If they can hook the concept being taught with something that is important to them they are more likely going to be engaged in what is being taught." So true for all learning-- even for us adults! Thank you for your great comments and ideas!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete