Sunday, November 29, 2009

Chapter 8 Reflection By Jamie Pool

After reading Chapter 8 Multimedia and Media Literacy, I was very excited because I have become very interested in teaching literacy. One of the multimedia authoring tools, concept mapping, is a tool that I would like to use more in my classroom. I use it on my SMART board, but I would like to have my students create concepts maps so they can better understand their own thinking and organization. This month in third grade, we have been working on summarization and this is just a very hard concept for my students to understand. I tried having them write down the main idea and three supporting details when they are summarizing a story, but it is still challenging. I think if I were to have them draw a picture of the main idea and have them connect each supporting detail to the main idea, they may understand the idea better. Part of their problem is they have a hard time organizing their thoughts. I know that I am a visual learner, so I think that I may try this idea and see if it helps them organize their thoughts before writing.

Another idea that i likes in this chapter is creating a story board. I did a little research on this last week, but it was good to get some more ideas. Creating a story board for the end of the year, would be fun. Another idea that goes with Chapter 7 is creating a story board for pen pals. They would love this. We could create a story of our school so students in other countries could learn about our school. Again, this would be a great activity for the end of the year when CRT's are over.

An idea that I would like to use in my classroom more is concept mapping. I think many students understand better when they can sketch their ideas out. In my reading class we just finished reading Snot Stew. It would fun to have students draw a concept map of the story. I would be able to gain knowledge about their understanding.

A concern that I have for this chapter, is learning more about storyboards, so I can feel confident enough to teach my students how to create their own. Our school has a couple of classes that they instruct for educators to learn more about technology. This is a topic that I think would be worth while in teaching our students. I am going to ask if there is anyone that can teach a class or help me understand more about them.

2 comments:

  1. Jamie,
    I have my students create a storyboard for every multimedia project they do-- it makes them work together as a team for the same end product that they agree on. When they get the equipment, they are ready to use it! Your idea of using mind maps (concept maps) is also supported by Marzano's Classroom Instruction that Works and the recent brain research on how our brains naturally try to categorize everything that comes into it! I would think that your students would start to understand the topic when they can add the visual image to what they know. You'll have to let us know what you find out!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jamie,
    I have my students use storyboards (7th grade) for their powerpoint and photostory projects--it really does keep them on track and helps them visualize the entire project. I've used simple tables, and recently started using the SmartArt feature in Word 07. A heirarchy table might work for your class--you could have them do it on the computer, but it might be easier to create the blank chart (storyboard) and have them draw in the pictures. You can add the boxes and customize it to work for your concept mapping or end of yr story. Have fun.
    Cathy Ziebarth

    ReplyDelete