Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Reflection from Jamie Pool for Chapter Three

After reading Chapter Three Learning and Knowledge in the Twenty-first Century, three ideas of learning helped me better understand important aspects of technology today. It is very interesting to look back at the late 1800’s to see what types of technology were used. Besides the steam engine most everything that dealt with education was completed with a pencil and paper. The sample math problem that was required for an eight grader in 1896 is a very challenging problem that was figured out by using only paper and pencil. Today, we would use a calculator to figure out the answer. Most eighth graders at my school wouldn’t be able to solve that problem, and if they could, it would take them a long time to do so. The time that we have to teach students these days is very valuable. Our government has set high expectations that we as schools need to meet. Even though I believe, it is very important that students understand the how and the why to solving a problem, we are very fortunate to have the technology we do in today’s education. This technology allows for our students to begin grasping ideas and concepts much quicker than using a paper and pencil. I believe that using both technology and paper and pencils are most beneficial. Finding a happy medium will help us guide our students in the direction to success. The ‘Knowledge Explosion’ has created newer technologies so we can better educate our students and learn more about what is happening in society.
Another learning point that I thought was very interesting is how we must not only learn about technology, but we must also learn with technology. According to Niess, Lee, and Kajder (2007) “future citizens must not only learn about the technology but they also must learn how to learn with technology; in other words they need to learn how to use technology as a tool for learning” (p. 40). I believe this is such an important quote for educators to understand. As teachers, we need to be able to teach our students to understand about technology and begin using technology as an instrument that will guide them in recognizing how technology can help them become more successful learners in our society today.
Lastly, Niess, Lee, and Kajder (2007) say “Ultimately, without students’ understanding and making sense of the problems, research has shown that they develop a fear or dislike for the subject along with an attitude that the subject does not need to make sense” (p. 42). This is an idea that really hits home for me. As a new third grade teacher, I believe it is very important for students to understand how and why to solve a problem. Many times teachers just teach the algorithm. However, students can not explain why they did what they did in solving a problem. For example, I am teaching three-four digit subtraction in my math class. I had students that came to me completely understanding the algorithm, but couldn’t explain the how and why. I could see when they got to a part in the problem that was a little more challenging and needed some explaining they were getting frustrated. I knew that for them to be successful, they needed to explain to my why and how they completed the problem. Because many of my students could not do this, we had to go back to place value. I didn’t want to go back, but I knew it was essential for them to understand the foundation.
As I was writing about students understanding and making sense of problems, I thought it would be good to have students create a subtraction problem on the computer and type out how they are going to solve that problem in words. For example, if they had the math problem of 826-537 they could start off by explaining that you can not take away six from seven. You have to go to your neighbor and borrow a ten etc. This might help them better understand why they are borrowing.
Another idea that I think would be fun for my class and our reading buddies is the ‘In the Classroom 3.1 activity’. It would be great to have them to cut out different technologies that we use in society today and then go the computer lab and print off the different technologies that were used in the late 1800’s. I don’t think students understand how technology has changed. This would be a great project for both my third graders and their reading buddies.
A main concern that I have is learning with technology. I do believe that it is very important to teach, but with the expectations of our government on our schools it is very hard to keep up on learning with technology because it is always changing. With everything else that needs to be done, how do I keep updated on new technology?

4 comments:

  1. Jamie,
    I really agree with your concern. There is a constant push and desire by all involved in (and outside of) education that want the instruction and use of technology. However, there seems to be little thought put in to the thought of having training for us, the educators, so that we can keep up with the technology ourselves. It’s often a crash course or learn-as-you-go approach – at least that’s what I’ve found. For me, as I’ve mentioned in a previous posting, I have never been trained on a Smart Board but am quite interested. Others within my school have been trained but don’t utilize the technology, meaning that the expensive Smart Board is nothing more than an expensive dust collector. I’m actually in luck as one of my peers said she’d tutor me one-on-one to learn the Smart Board, but if not for that, I’d once again be forced to teach myself, which would likely leave a bit to be desired.

    Bryan Pechtl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie,
    I could really relate to your post, I am also a third grade teacher. I have the same concern as you, how do we implement the technology standards along with all the other content standards we are required to meet. Your discussion on problem solving and explaining sounds just like me this week. We are working on regrouping in subtracting. Most of my students were just going through the motions, but did not understand what they were doing. So, I am having them explain what they are doing and why. It is a challenge for them, but it is necessary. I also wrote in my discussion that lesson 3.1 would be a good one for our age level.

    Jennifer Atkinson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie,

    It is interesting to read your post because I often do my chapter posts before looking at others in the class. I realized after reading your post, how similiar one of our ideas was for integrating technology into our classrooms. I mentioned briefly in my post, that the chapter inspired me to have my reading buddies create a technology book with my kindergarten students. I am planning on waiting until our transportation unit as I hope to have reading buddies create a book specifically about how the technology of transportation has transformed throughout history. The reading buddies could show the kindergarten students how to use the Internet to research topics and find images. The reading buddies would help the kindergarteners print out pictures of different modes of transportation throughout history and help them write words about the pictures in their technology book. Please let me know if you and your reading buddies in kindergarten do an activity in the computer labe that is successful and fun as I would love to use it!


    Kate Wampler

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie, we all want to know how your ideas work with your students! Thank you for providing them! Good reflection- you're in tune with thinking how the authors' ideas can be used in your classroom- new items for your Technology Toolbox!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete