Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Michael Wagner's Chapter 11 Post

Michael Wagner’s Chapter 11 Review
I like when you get to the end of an educational book and the authors begin to give you some great applications of the topics we have been studying. I appreciate that we are now talking strategy on how to put this into our classroom. I particularly like the pre-strategy checklist at the beginning of the chapter outlining things that need to be thought about before picking a strategy. Next, I believe that the chapter’s review of the psychologist’s explanation of learning needs to be reflected on when considering teaching models or strategies. Finally, the insight into properly using labs and hands-on activities is very applicable and interesting to me in my curriculum.
• Is a lecture the best way for guiding students in learning the ideas I am trying to teach?
• How can I challenge the students so that they want to learn these ideas?
• How can I assure they are actively involved in thinking and learning about the ideas that I teach?
• What other strategies might I use that might be more effective for my students?
The checklist was constructive as there are times when it seems easier or more comfortable to teach in a way that I have taught in the past. “How can I challenge the students so that they want to learn these ideas?” is a good question to ask of my current teaching strategies. There may be a better way, a way that the students can understand better. If I looked at this checklist before teaching my units, I may change a few things.
I have never been able to figure out why sometimes when I explain something, it just clicks with the students, they just get it. When I look back at those moments, the psychologist may have it right; the students listen and comprehend best when they are out of their comfort zone. I have success with teaching welding technologies because there is somewhat of a fear factor involved. I have a more difficult time with something that they are comfortable with and only need to expand a little on what they already know.
Hands-on activities are a majority of what my teaching involves. I introduce the project or problem and give them some skills and technologies they can use, demonstrate portions of the project, and then they explore possible methods of solving the problem. The set up time is filled with teaching skills and methods, but there is probably not a better way to get students to be in “disequilibrium” and learn more.
2 New Ideas
Using the direct instruction model effectively
I believe that most of my teaching methods are on the far side of indirect modeling. I would love to have my lessons set up in a way like in the example where Mr. Porter uses direct instruction through a well set up slide show to demonstrate the use of the spreadsheet. It would probably take a bit of time in prep but less time waiting for the program in front of the students.



Better use of a closure in hands-on activities
I talked earlier in the class wiki about using Google docs to have student groups complete technical briefs for their summaries. This would be a great way for them to collaborate on what they have learned and compose it in a readable document.
Concerns
Once again, the text does not hide it, but teaching with technology takes a lot of preparation. I have a curriculum that takes a lot preparation; I want to find technologies where preparation yields much.

1 comment:

  1. I am in agreement with you on the practicality of the end of this text. I am connecting with the last few chapters far more than the earlier chapters. I am not sure if I wrote this to you earlier or someone else...but I believe that the authors could have summed up the standards into one chapter and left it at that...
    thanks,
    Dave

    ReplyDelete