Sunday, November 15, 2009

Kate Wampler's Chapter 13 Reflection

I am relieved to have more flexibility with how I may reflect on the readings for this class. This chapter encouraged me to refresh my knowledge on assessments and gave me a clear idea of how to make assessments with and about technology. I discovered a new form of assessment that I had not thought about since undergraduate school. Diagnostic assessment is very helpful with informing teachers how to help frame instruction that will be needed for students to have successful learning opportunities. Diagnostic assessment allows teachers to assess if students have the necessary skills to do an assignment before actually assigning it. I feel, especially with technology, that I need to complete diagnostic assessments on my students about using basic computer skills, before requiring them to accomplish certain tasks using available software at our school such as Harcourt math, kidpics, google tools, etc. I plan to due a diagnostic test with my students in the computer lab before each computer assignment to assess whether my students have the basic skills necessary to complete assignments such as clicking on the mouse, moving the mouse, using the headphones, typing on the keyboard, etc.

Through this week's reading I was reminded how much I use and depend on performance-based assessments to progress monitor my students on all subject areas. In kindergarten, it is not efficient to require traditional assessments such as true and false, multiple choice, essay questions, short answer, etc. because most kindergarten students are still learning how to read and comprehend what is read to them. As an early childhood education teacher, I think it is so important to recognize the power and usefulness of performance-based assessments in determining what students can do. Not only can performance-based assessments help primary grade teachers determine what their students can do, and what areas need reteaching or support in, they can help assess a student's ability to work in groups, which is impossible with traditional assessments. I plan to continue using performance-based assessments, but hope to record my observations more consistently in my teaching journal.

3 comments:

  1. As a grades 7-12 teacher, it's interesting to read your post, Kate. I take for granted that my students are able to simply use the technology and, in some cases, are much better at it than adults. I can only imagine how I might look if a student told me that they didn't know the operation of a mouse. Your reflection gave me a new look on skills that children have and when they acquire them. I imagine that you have to be quite creative to institute computer technology into your lessons, both on the planning and evaluation ends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it would still be very important for traditional testing to be used at the elementary level. For the big reason of progress monitoring. Gardiner uses RTI, Response To Intervention where students have to be assessed to see where they stand. With the challenges of keeping schools AYP there is a lot of pressure to keep a grasp on where students stand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate, this is so great to hear from you and your assessment strategies for young students and then to have other teachers compare to their older grade student assessments. Its great for us all to be reminded of how it all works in each grade level! And it takes so much careful planning for every grade level. Joan

    ReplyDelete