Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Jennifer Burke's Chapter 6 Reflection

1 Idea or Learning
Spreadsheets seem to be in a sense graphing, at least for the younger grades. With whole group teaching in younger grades, a teacher can utilize beginning spreadsheet concepts with concepts, such as weather observations.The M & M activity is classic and incorporates many concepts, such as color, sorting, counting, more, less, same, and graphing. I was pleasantly informed of further possibilities scaffolding upon the initial M & M exercise, like actual spreadsheets with formulas.

1 Idea for Integration
Teaching the idea for spreadsheet in early grades in more than possible. You can start the aforementioned knowledge with basic spreadsheets about such things as how many boys and girls, favorite color, and favorite animal. One of my favorite examples uses a package of candy called "Dem' Bones". Students sort, put each bone in correct square and row, then write the total at the end. Of course, we discuss how many, which had more, less, or any the same. The candy package allows the experience to be hands-on, connects to bone unit, and includes many bones such as skull, ribs, leg bone, and foot bone.

1 Concern
I have had little experience with spreadsheets. Teaching kindergarten has allowed me to escape the need to use spreadsheets as much, except for grading and assessments. I am concerned that my lack of knowledge will effect me negatively if I switch to older grades later in my career. Yes, I have learned more after reading chapter 6, but I need to actually apply to internalize. Although, the Capstone Project necessary for graduation will require use of some spreadsheet and graphing skills.

1 comment:

  1. Jennifer, You will find that you will do just fine if you try spreadsheet activities with older students! The same features are readily available- just a t a higher level! Older students can gather their own data, enter the data, and then choose the type of chart/graph that best helps them analyze the data. I find that even young students love to see the data magically turned into pie charts!
    Great reflection!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete