Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Jennifer Atkinson, Chapter 12 Reflection

Three ideas or learnings from the reading
Chapter 12, Designing, Implementing, and Reflecting on Instruction with Technology, reminded me of the characteristics of effective lessons. Effective lessons are organized, the teacher is enthused, and students are involved (Niess, Lee, Kajder, 2007, p. 262). I think we all know this, but it made me think about my energy level. Students can pick up on how the teacher feels about a lesson. Another idea I learned from this chapter is the three types of objectives: cognitive, affective, and psychomotor (p. 266). Each type of objective focuses on a different aspect of the learning. Cognitive objectives focus on knowledge, affective objectives focus on commitment/attitude, and psychomotor focus on motor skills and eye-hand coordination (p. 264-265). Cognitive objectives are met in most lessons, but this chapter reminded me to think of the other two as well. The last idea I am taking away from this chapter is the idea of reflecting on lessons. According to the text, “reflection on the lesson is an essential activity for teachers to do” (p. 273). Reflection helps the teacher remember what went well, what students struggled with, what to reteach, and what to change for the next time.

Two new ideas for integrating technology
I am going to work on making sure students have clear directions and expectations when using technology. When having students work with technology, it is important that they have clear directions on how to use the technology beforehand. Then, when it is time to use the technology as a tool for learning content, they understand the directions and how to use it. Another technology idea I learned is being prepared for obstacles. It is important to try out the links and programs that the students will use to make sure they are active and appropriate. Also, it is necessary to think about a backup plan if some piece of the technology is not working.

One concern about integrating technology
One concern I have is being prepared for troubles that come up on the spot. I try to always be prepared, but with some of the technology, I do not know enough about it to know what possibly could go wrong. Last week, I had my class in the computer lab working on math. Some of my students’ accounts were not working. I struggled with how to quickly fix the problem, so they were not just sitting during computer time. With incorporating new technology there is a lot to learn by the students and the teacher.

3 comments:

  1. Jennifer,
    I thought the same thing when reading the section - how is my enthusiasm, not just with technology, but with everything? Students can tell when we're not excited, and that message is quickly adopted by them. I'm planning on a video project coming up and I know some of the students are already tepid, so part of my work with the assignment will just be selling the assignment. The student's have to buy in or the endeavor will not be the success that I feel it can and should be. Bryan Pechtl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer,
    This is also a struggle I have within my classroom. Like you, I am also a very organized person. My lesson are planned out, I know what websites I am using, and then something goes wrong. I thin this is were technology becomes very frustrating. When soemthing technological goes wrong inmy classroom, I know that i have to be flexible, so my students does think technology is a negative tool for school. It is very frustrating, but I look at it as there could be something worse that could happen.
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer- all of the comments above are so true! We all plan for problems, but sometimes you just can't plan for everything that comes along! That is where the teacher's attitude can really help! Helping students know that things happen and just make the best of it, as happens in life, is an important, yet frustrating, lesson! Thank you for your comments!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete