Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Dave Neal. Week Five. Chapter Six, Spreadsheets Review.

Dave Neal. Week Five. Chapter Six, Spreadsheets Review.
One idea or learning from your reading that you are of interest to you:

The M&M activity is going to be a main topic for this chapters post. This activity both taught me quite a bit about excel spreadsheets and gave me a new idea for integrating technology into my classroom. Excel has always intimidated me. I am not sure if it was the formulas, or how it magically creates charts, line graphs, and pie graphs with a click. Due to the unknown, I have always used excel at a minimum level. This simple activity (used with sixth graders) taught me quite a bit about the functions of Excel.

One new idea for integrating technology for student learning in your own classroom/content area:
Once again, the M&M activity really struck me as a fantastic idea. I really enjoyed the hands-on demonstration using 3x5 note cards and not even using the computer until a firm understanding of the layout and vocabulary had been laid out. The lesson provides a great way for all of the kids to truly understand the organization of columns and rows along with the vocabulary and uses of things such as values, labels, cells, formula, SUM, and AVERAGE. I feel that this lesson is a must for my kids to do before we sit down and tackle Excel.

What is your one main concern about integrating technology for student learning after reading this chapter?
I suppose that my main concern after reading this chapter is that my students may be intimidated by the complexity of Excel at face value. I know that Excel was not introduced to me in a proper manner, instead it was thrown at me and I was overwhelmed. The formulas, numbers, and “magic” operations was simply too much for me to comprehend as simple operations. I feel that it is important to present Excel slowly, and methodically. Again, the M&M activity seems like a great way to present Excel to my students. I think I just figured out what tech-lesson to present to my students for my tech-lesson project.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with the concern, Dave. Most students that I have don't seem to have a clue what Excel is, does, or how it could be utilized. As you say, it's going to be quite important to be specific in instructing them what to do within a particular lesson. Otherwise, there's going to be quite a bit of running on your end from computer to computer answering questions. Good luck with the assignment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave, the classic M& M activity is even interesting and eye-opening to my college age students! It is so simple, yet uses some great features of the spreadsheet. And, I find that even my students need to learn what the different graphs and charts mean when analyzing data! Another easy spreadsheet activity is for student teams to explore the costs of taking a field trip by plane, bus, or car.
    A google search on spreadsheet lesson plans for middle school comes up with many ideas. You will become more comfortable as soon as you sit down with a spreadsheet and try it out! Perhaps that should be your next weekly Exploration!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete