Monday, November 9, 2009

Chapter 12 posted by Jamie Pool

After reading chapter 12 Designing Implementing, and Reflecting on Instruction with Technology, I learned about the pedagogical reasoning process, which includes preparation, representation, selection, adaptation, and tailoring. I noticed that if I use this process a couple of times throughout the week, it will help me understand the routine for teaching and it will help make me a stronger teacher. This idea goes hand-in-hand with research that suggests planning prior teaching, monitoring and regulating while teaching, and assessing and revising after teaching. This is a good habit to get into. I do this when I get evaluated from my principal, but if I started doing it more, it would become routine after practiced many times.
Another area that I learned in this chapter is including all three objectives (cognitive, affective, and psychomotor) in the technology outcomes that I teach. Using all three of these objectives "shapes the condition under which the objectives are to be assessed" (Neiss, Lee, Kajder, 2007). I want to give my students directions that they need so they can demonstrate the outcomes following my teaching. By doing this I will better understand if I taught the material well.
I believe reflecting on a lesson is such an essential part of my own teaching. I feel that when I have set objectives and understandings in my lessons my students will grasp the information being taught, but if I fail to make the objectives clear students have a more challenging time with what is being asked of them. Going through and reflecting on what is being taught is very important in growing to be a better teacher. It is hard for me to do this, because after the first lesson we are going right into the next lesson. I like how Mr. Porter jotted down notes during the lesson so he remembered how it went.
To better educate my students, as I teach a lesson, I am going to try to jot down how I felt each part of the lesson went. For example, if we were working on the SMART board and the students in their seats were off task, that is an essential detail that I would need to know to better teach this lesson next time. I always feel like there is not enough time, but I think it is important to jot down ideas so I can manipulate my lesson for the next time that I teach it.
The other idea that I would like to try after teaching is the Reflecting in Teaching with Technology questions that are provided in the book on page 273. These are great questions that will help me understand if the lesson went well. It will also tell me if my students were engaged with what I was teaching. This is a great way for me to make my teaching better.
My main concern after reading this chapter is being able to gain enough knowledge to teach technology. Technology is forever changing, and I feel every time I turn my back they have a newer technological device. How can I learn all of this so I can keep my students in the present?
Jamie

1 comment:

  1. Jamie,
    You mentioned "This idea goes hand-in-hand with research that suggests planning prior teaching, monitoring and regulating while teaching, and assessing and revising after teaching. This is a good habit to get into." SO very true-- great teachers do it all the time and make the lessons better and better and better!
    You also mentioned how concerned you feel about staying on top of technology! It is a constant! By taking this course and exploring new ideas with technology, you are mitigating the concern! Thank you!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete