Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Chapter 12 Reflection - Bryan Pechtl

Ideas or learnings of interest (3):
The ‘knowledge of technology’ I found interesting because of the question it asked early in the paragraph: which particular technologies afford the greatest gain? When I use technology, I often try to ask the same question. Some teachers I have known have students create Power Point after Power Point, all with little point as to why. While the student gains some knowledge of creating a slide show, I often question whether or not it’s really a good use of resources and adding to student learning (most often it is not).

Second, the discussion about teaching as we were taught was interesting because I probably teach more like my college professors and not like my high school teachers, this being primarily because I received my education degree 15 years after graduating high school. I didn’t remember how my high school teachers taught me! This has allowed me a bit of more freedom, I think, in how I design and instruct, though I do naturally tend to teach a bit like my college instructors. That’s fine for my seniors, but for my 7th graders, I’m sure it can be a challenge, and I do try to adjust my methodologies for them.

Finally, and ironically, we had a PIR day today and included a discussion on objectives in our instruction, as the book talks about on pages 263-266, as well as teaching the material leading up to closure of the lesson. I think in regards to technology in the classroom, the objectives for including the technology is important and has to be able to be explained to others as to why it’s included, which goes back to my first point above. For a student to be directed in the use of the technology to enhance his or her learning, they must know why they are learning what they are learning, as well as how the technology is to be included and utilized to benefit all involved.


Two new ideas for integrating tech (2):
Going back to my third point, I guess I’m going to have to more clearly illustrate to the students why the technology is being used in the lesson as well as my expectations for that use. While I’ve always known that students enjoy using computers and other technologies, there needs to be a clear understanding on their part, communicated by me, as to why we are using it for a particular lesson or topic.
Secondly, I’m definitely going to be sure to institute a new progress monitoring system of student work. I am constantly going around making sure students are on task, and they know due-dates, but for bigger projects, I’m going to start using a system whereby the student records how far they are on their projects. This may not be integrating tech specifically, but it is making sure the technology that has been integrated is being used wisely and effectively.


One point of concern for integrating tech (1):
Again, as I’ve mentioned before, an area of concern is the ability of teachers to be on top of emerging technology as well as the ability to utilize it successfully in the classroom. I love technology and love to jump on the bandwagon, but due to time constraints, it is a challenge to receive all of the necessary instruction to see how to best use some applications in the classroom.

4 comments:

  1. Bryan,
    It seems to be a theme—how do we stay on top of emerging technology, and be able to utilize it in a meaningful way in the classroom. The challenge seems to be with time and receiving training. Our district has approached this problem through the arrangement of a full day of tech training, available for all teachers (K-12) This occurs before school starts-usually the week before in August, and in trade, teachers are allowed to “flex” a scheduled PIR day—usually one before a vacation that students are not in attendance. The tech training is set up so teachers can take several 1 to 1.5 hour sessions. We survey teachers prior to arranging the training to know what the greatest needs are. If we are implementing a new technology—say electronic gradebook, or Word ‘O7, all teachers take that session. It’s not perfect, but it seems to help with the integration of technology.
    Cathy Ziebarth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bryan,
    I agree with your idea about more clearly talking to students about technology before using it in lessons. My third graders are so excited to be using the computer lab, but needed a reminder about why we are using it. This morning, I did a discussion about why we are going to the computer lab and what the expectations are in there. Some of the students feel like computer time is "fun time". We talked about how it is fun to use the computer for learning, but it is important to still stay on task and do their best work. They were much better in the lab after reviewing the reasons why we use technology as a tool for learning.
    Jennifer Atkinson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bryan-- What an excellent reflection!!
    You also received some terrific comments! You might check out the PRL checklists at http://4teachers.org/ to use to help your students stay on task when working on a technology project. Let us know how it goes! I, too, must do a better job of making it absolutely apparent why we are using technology on certain projects!
    Thank you for your ideas!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bryan, if had a thought that, perhaps, using some of the technologies discussed in the Marzano "Classroom Instruction that Works" exploration could help with your concern about choosing the technologies with the greatest bang! Check it out in the D2L exploration area. For example, research shows that using Mind Maps, Inspiration type programs, certainly does enhance student learning.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete