Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Dave Neal, Week Three, Chapter Eleven Reflection

Three ideas or learnings that are of interest to me:
  1. When I began teaching, I was definately a 'direct-instruction' type of teacher. I feel that this is because I was fresh out of college, which is predominently based on direct-instruction. That is how I learned for so long...so that is how I taught. Over the years, I have learned that this is not effective for me. My classroom is now definately student-centered, inquiry-based, indirect instruction. I definately related to this section of chapter eleven.
  2. Labs and hands-on activities are essential for teaching technology, just as the authors mentioned. In this day and age...in my opinion, there is hardly room to teach technology without it being 'hands-on'. Fortunately, computers and tech-labs are available to nearly every school in America.
  3. I feel that the introduction/motivation part of a lesson on technology (or any subject matter) is extremely important. The key that I find useful when introducing a topic to a class to to discuss why this is an important lesson and how they will apply this knowledge to their lives. Once students can really see the use of the knowledge that they will gain, they are more apt to put effort and time into the learning process.
Two new ideas for integrating technology for student learning:
  1. Grouping: Students could be grouped together to create a science lab write-up. The group would jointly create a purpose, then individually go into the computer lab to independently research the topic. Once the students have independently gathered research, they could regroup to form a hypothesis and continue with the experiment, analysis, and conclusion.
  2. If I were to teach multiple classes of the same subject, I would like to experiment with teaching a particular topic regarding technology in two different styles to see the effectiveness. One class I would like to teach in a direct-instruction method, and the other in a student-centered model. I would like to look at this as an experiment to see which method is more effective in teaching technology.
One main concern about integrating technology after reading this chapter:
  1. I do not integrate technology into my classroom as much as I would like to. This is partially due to access and the level of technology available to me. As I do beging to integrate more technology, I am wondering how to maintain a student-centered, inquiry based method without losing my children in the complexities of technology. I can see how a teacher-centered approach may be more helpful when teaching technology. I am curious to know your thoughts.

4 comments:

  1. Dave,
    My classroom is also student-centered. I try to have lessons where the students are doing the thinking and working and I am a guide. I agree with your point about the introduction of a lesson linking to "real life". In my experience, if students see the relevance of a concept or skill, they will put in more effort to learn it and practice it. I struggle with how to keep the technology lessons student-centered. I am doing a lot of modeling and preteaching on the laptop projector before we go into the computer lab. Some of my students still struggle with basic computer skills. By modeling the expectations and guidelines, it helps the students get the basics of what they will be doing in the lab. Once we get to the lab, the lesson switches to being more student-centered.
    Jennifer Atkinson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave,
    I like the way you group your students for the science lab. I hesitate to do too much group work as I always feel someone gets left out, or one person is always doing the work. The approach you presented allows for some group work, but each person is still responsible for gathering research. I could see the discussion being more meaningful when they come back together to complete the lab. I wouldn’t worry about your technology integration being teacher centered. Once I go over directions with students, cover basic strategies, students of any age seem to take off when it comes to using technology. They will explore and try things out, many times I’m amazed at what they will do, or the approach they take to implementing or using technology.
    Cathy Ziebarth

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was in high school I remember at some point a lesson where the teacher had us gather research information on a specific physics topic. We then had to find a way teach this topic to our peers. It had to have a hands-on section of our assignment which was of the most interest to me. I have forgotten most of that class but those things I researched and then taught are locked in my mind. Student centered learning definitely remains in our students minds longer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave, I agree with Michael, Cathy and Jennifer! Don't worry about the teaching strategy-- try want you think should work, then reflect, and make necessary changes for the next time. Its all in the willingness to risk and to explore with your students!
    Thank you for your thoughts and questions!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete