Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Michael Wagner's Chapter 12 Post

Chapter 12
I was interested in the part of the introduction describing the considerations that a teacher must have when using technology in teaching. Specifically, the adaptation needed in the subject material to meet different learning styles in particular students. The text then discussed further in the chapter, a valid statement saying “…the plan is only an outline and does not provide a script for the lesson.” I have always wanted more organized lessons, but in my subject area, I not only construct the lesson plans but construct my curriculum, therefore, time is just very limited. Technology and Engineering education does not have a set national or state curriculum so there is a lot of reliance on the teacher to decide and build curriculum. The last point of interest to me was the reflecting on the lesson. As a newer teacher, I think my first two maybe three years were reflecting. I am still reflecting but, wow, those first few years were me saying to myself, “Why did I try that?” This reflection, gives you an idea if you are ready to go into the next lesson.
I would like to see my lesson plans expanded in such a way as in the examples in the text, but I cannot see how my time could ever afford this. There are a few textbooks out that I have looked through and are a good representation of what a set curriculum would look like for Technology and Engineering education. However, there is no set curriculum. Standards are set up so broad that about any lesson would be within the benchmarks. I am not complaining; I love the freedom of being able to pick my curriculum. It is just that it takes a lot of time to develop a curriculum. My plans are closer to unit plans, and my daily plans are mostly my thinking through each hour on what I have to teach and what technologies need to be set up.
The other new thing I would like to include in my classroom stems off of Cathy Ziebarth’s discussion on some of her students using Google Sketch Up. She had no experience with the program nor did the students. It seems that she is going to let them explore the program while she learns about it also. This year I brought in new software for my upper class drafting students, the problem was that I had very little knowledge or experience with the program. I was concerned since I usually attend some sort of training before beginning a software program. The software came with a good tutorial and for this portion of the class I believe we will try to follow through it together. What is helpful about the tutorials is that it comes with assessable projects at the end of the unit.
My concern after reading this chapter continues to revolve around time. With much of the chapter’s focus on in-depth written lesson plans these will take a lot of time. I have a curriculum that I basically have to construct myself. Combine that and keeping up-to-date on all of the newest software and engineering programs with focusing on minute-by-minute lesson planning does not seem very plausible in my field.

2 comments:

  1. This is my fifth year of teaching in a public school and I still feel as though the list of things to do, including lesson planning, is endless. I agree with the beginning of your post. There is so much reflecting that needs to be done. At the beginning of my career I felt that I had to consciously think about reflecting. Now it more natural and within me. Time is still the main issue. So the thought of create lesson plans for technology in addition to other subjects is a bit overwhelming. Although, I wonder if once you get into the routine it is more automatic mentally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael, you're right--planning never ends! To be a great teacher one has to plan and experiment and reflect and change and try it again! I, too, have had all of my students explore a new application and teach us what they discover as we go along! They think it is fun to explore and to "teach" as we all discover new features of the application. If I tell them right from the beginning that I have not played with the application, they are excited to share what they learn. Let us know how it goes with your class!
    Thanks for your comments! I, too, develop curriculum that changes all the time as technology changes!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete